UNESCO Chair in Media, Dialogue and Mutual Understanding
at the School of Journalism and Public Relations
The UNESCO Chair in Media, Dialogue and Mutual Understanding is established at the School of Journalism and Public Relations in June 2011, following a decision of the UNESCO headquarters in Paris.
Goals and objectives
The main goals of the UNESCO Chair is to contribute to fostering social cohesion, multicultural understanding and intercultural communication among different cultural groups in the Republic of Macedonia. To this end, the Chair shall promote an integrated system of education, research, training, information and publishing activities in the fields of the media, journalism and communication studies with a strong emphasis on intercultural communication and diversity reporting. It will serve as a means of facilitating collaboration between high-level, internationally recognized researchers and teaching staff of the School and other institutions in the country and elsewhere in Europe.
The specific objectives of this Chair are:
- strengthening the component of inter-cultural communication within the postgraduate studies in Journalism and Communication in order to enable Journalism students and future PR practitioners to adopt and implement the values of inclusivity, diversity and inter-culturalism.
- initiating and conducting academic and applied research projects related to cultural diversity, media pluralism and inter-cultural communication;
- publication of textbooks, handbooks and other educational materials in both study fields in order to advance the theory and to enhance knowledge and experience sharing among journalists, PR professionals, international and local experts;
- developing and disseminating new media products on topics related to cultural diversity, inter-cultural communication, mutual understanding and dialogue among citizens and communities;
- establishing a new Web platform as an online educational tool and public forum to increase the awareness about the cultural diversity issues, to strengthen the dialogue among community members, the encourage a comprehensive process of human rights education and to empower the citizens and their participation in the process of good governance ;
- setting-up new networks and new partnerships among high-education institutions, research institutes, NGOs, media outlets, foundations and public and private sector organizations.
Activities implemented so far
Activities implemented so far within the UNESCO Chair:
- new courses and content on diversity and intercultural communication are developed within the existing programs in Journalism and Public Relations;
- new postgraduate programs are accredited in Media management and Multimedia and Management of Strategic Communication;
- new Institute of Communication Studies is established to develop scientific research in the field of journalism studies, intercultural communication and related fields;
- several research studies are conducted focused on diversity reporting and the role of media in fostering social cohesion;
- Watchdog Mechanism is established for rapid detection and reaction to media reporting on sensitive inter-ethnic and inter-religious topics;
- publication of printed and online educational resources, research studies, handbooks and textbooks on intercultural communication and diversity reporting;
- public debates, workshops and trainings for diversity reporting were organized for journalists and communication specialists;
- cooperation agreements are signed with more than ten higher-education and research institutions from abroad.